Thursday, February 08, 2007

Adverse Affects of Confidence

I've been thinking about this every now and then- that the more confident I feel the less enthusiastic I am about "getting pretty" ie wasting time, money and comfort on getting dressed up (and here I am differentiating pretty from beautiful which is a whole lot deeper than putting on high heels and hot pants). This morning I found an interview between Bronques from Last Nights Party and Kid 606, where 606 says he needs to be insecure to make good music and compares it to women ( I don't think this is universally true but it's something to think about):

Kid 606: Yeah, it’s like... you gotta not believe in yourself, and most musicians, once they stop believeing in themselves, they make really good shit. It’s like with girls… Girls are hotter when they’re insecure. They’re more interested in being attractive and attracting other people when they’re insecure. It’s the same with musicians.

So what's a confident woman (or man) to do? Stop combing their hair and washing their clothes because they feel secure? I was given the advice that your primary concern should be encouraging other people. Whether that is smiling, wearing your hair "natural" or putting on your favorite T-shirt, the fundamental interest should be to encourage others and sometimes this will result in not looking hot but rather beautiful, glowing or just happy! I can live with that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home